Wireless is the way of the future. We’ve already said a painful goodbye to wired headphones when we lost our old friend the 3.4mm headphone jack.
Now how we charge our iPhones, watches, Airpods and iPads is changing as well.
Instead of having to dig out your old frayed Lightning cable you can simply put your Apple device on top of a Qi wireless charging pad and you’re good to go.
What Apple Devices Support Qi Wireless Charging?
As of November 2018, you can charge iPhones (8 or newer), Apple Watch, and Airpods (the case) via Qi wireless charging.
Qi charging is the now universally adopted wireless charging standard similar to Bluetooth but for charging.
Similar to Bluetooth Qi is not brand-specific, meaning Qi works with Apple products as well as Samsung, Google, LG, Xiaomi, Sony, Huawei and others.
The pros to Qi charging are that you don’t need to plug your device into a cable. Cables have a tendency to wear out and even the charging ports themselves can deteriorate after years of use.
The cons are that wireless charging currently is not as fast as wired charging. For this reason it’s used mostly as a standby charging system.
As a result, most Qi-enabled charging stations are designed to be used when the device is not needed, such as night-time when the user is sleeping.
The sheer versatility of wireless charging means that Qi charging coils can be incorporated into a wide variety of devices, from simple charging “pads” to desks, night-stands, coffee tables and more.
Below we round-up the very best Qi charging solutions with the highest average user reviews, sorted by category, to help you find just the right charging solution for you.
Best Wireless Charging Pads
The humble “pad” is the most common and most practical wireless charging solution for most people as it doesn’t require any sort of construction or planning when setting up and can be integrated into existing work/living spaces.
When shopping for a charging pad there are are a few things to take into consideration:
Are you planning on charging just one device like your iPhone or do you want to charge multiple devices?
The number of devices and their size will dictate the size and shape of charging pad you’ll want.
Where will the mast be used most commonly? You will want to try to match the pad’s aesthetic to the surface it will most commonly be used on.
Simple Budget-Friendly Option: Anker Ultra-Slim Wireless Charger
Anker is a consumer electronics brand founded in the U.S with offices in Shenzhen China that focus on making affordable consumer technology to fulfill new tech demands.
For example Anker was one of the first companies to make lightning-cable earbuds when Apple first dropped the headphone jack.
It should be no surprise that their Ultra-Slim charger is one of the most popular selling Qi systems on Amazon.
Cheapest Charring Pad
The unit is super slim, and all-black in construction, meaning it will look classy on both a night stand as well as an office desk. The only visible branding is right in the center with a conservative “ANKER” logo.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 20 million+ powered by our leading technology
- Charge forward: charge any Qi-compatible Device 10% faster than other 5W wireless chargers, using highly efficient components and an advanced Chipset
- Case-friendly: charge Straight through even extra-tough cases. (Metal attachments or credit cards will interfere with charging. )
Most “Apple” Charging Pad
If you are looking for something with a little more personality and ALSO want to make everyone aware of the fact that you are a die-hard Apple fan then the ChuangHuiKe charger is for you.
- RAPID CHARGING FOR YOUR PHONE -- 7.5W model *Using QC2.0/QC3.0 adapter (9V,1.67A) is ONLY compatible with iPhone XS/XS Max/XR / X / 8/8 Plus so far; 10 W model *Using QC2.0/QC3.0...
- 【MULTIFUNCTIONAL PROTECTION】 A future design make it ultra slim, no annoying beeps, no plastic smell, even the LED indicator is low-key and causes no disturbance in the night. Anti-slip...
- [Ultra-thin and lightweight] The thickness of the charger is only 8.4mm. Easy to put in your bag to carry anywhere with your phone without worry of missing energy, optimal decor for the home or...
Despite the hard to pronounce brand name (it is the romanized phonetic version of the Chinese manufacturer’s name) this pad is pretty unique in it’s creative iconic Apple logo design.
If you think having an Apple logo charge your Apple device is a bit tacky and instead prefer more subtle designs you may want to consider looking at a wood charging solution.
Qi wireless charging can penetrate organic wood materials without a problem so getting a solid walnut or cherry wood charging pad will add both a bit of sophistication to your desk top as well as a more natural aesthetic.
One of the most handsome looking wooden charging stations for Qi-enabeld devices isn’t even technically made of wood, it’s made of bamboo.
- SLEEP-FRIENDLY. SurgeDisk Wireless Charger uses a soft white breathing light that will let you sleep peacefully. We don't use the intensive stimulation of the red, green or blue LED light of...
- SIMPLY DROP & CHARGE: Compatibility for all QI enabled wireless charging devices or devices with QI receiver such as Galaxy S6 S7, Galaxy S6 S7 Edge, Galaxy Note 5, LG G4, Nexus 6, Moto Droid...
- ULTRA SLIM AND CONVENIENT. Portable ultra-thin body and net weight 60g make it easy to carry. It is only about 1/4 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter.
The SurgeDisk Bamboo edition is slim, is bamboo and is zen as hell.
The light colors work perfectly with the aluminum and glass aesthetics of current Apple devices and when not in use this handsome charging pad becomes a piece of minimalist art work.
These are cool and all, but what if I have multiple Apple devices I need to charge? Well, there are solutions for Apple fanboys as well…
Bets Multi-Device Wireless Charging Pad
Finally, if you are looking for a pad that can handle everything you want to throw at it, including up to 3 separate phones we recommend the JE Qi Triple Charger.
The mat is especially elongated to accommodate multiple devices. This is great for families, offices, or for people who have separate work and personal phones that both need regular charging.
- 【Three Charging Unit】This wireless charging pad supports 3 Qi-Enabled phone to be charged simultaneously. Note: It does not charge through metal or cases thicker than 4mm;
- 【STABLE WIRELESS CHARGING】 - Compatible with all Qi-certified wireless charging enabled devices made by Samsung, Google, Motorola and Nokia plus those that have a Qi-certified wireless...
- 【Compatible Device】Supports wireless charging on QI-ENABLED devices like iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 Plus, Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, Galaxy S6/S6 Edge, Nexus 4,...
If you are a power user who also wants to keep his or her desktop clear of clutter there are also wireless charging mouse pads available that allow you to charge your phone and get all “clicky-clicky” at the same time.
Qi enabled mouse pads are usually a little thicker than normal mouse pads, and of course they will have a power cable to add to the mix, but the benefit of being able to have your phone charge on the same surface you work on all day is pretty neat.
- Qi wireless charging allows you to effortlessly charge any QI Certified Device
- Included USB Micro-B, Type-C and Lightning QI charging adapters enable you to charge almost any other wireless/mobile Device
- Performance micro-textured Hard surface tuned for Optical or laser mouse precision
- [FAST, HIGH-SPEED CHARGING]: Quickly power up your smartphone or any Qi-certified devices by simply laying it on the pad; Works effortlessly with any Qi-enabled mouse and other Qi-powered...
- [LARGE SIZE]: Comfortably work and play while charging on the large 14.1 x 8.6 surface area, which can accommodate your smart phone, mouse and other wireless devices
- [SMOOTH AND ELEGANT TEXTURE]: Power up your devices in style on a non-slip and skid-free PU leather surface
While the above pads are great for nightstand or home use in situations where you set your phone flat and don’t use it for hours on end what do you do if you want to be able to still use your phone while it charges wirelessly?
That is where phone stands come into the picture..
Use Your Phone While Charging: Wireless Stands
Stands serve the same function of the “pads” except that they prop up the device so that it can be easily viewed while simultaneously charging.
Stands are great for desk and office applications where you still may need to occasionally interact with your phone.
Since these will be used in work spaces manufactures have taken the design aspect to the next level to offer some truly handsome looking stand options.
It should come as no surprise here that Anker takes top honors in the stand category for offering the most affordable, highly rated stand on the market.
The Anker stand, like their charging pad is all black, which helps it fit into any environment, from sleek glass tables to wood grain desks.
At just under $20 it is also the most value-oriented option for anyone looking for quick and decent looking iPhone wireless charging stands.
There are other options from other manufactures including wood grain and stands that have separate loops to accommodate Apple Watch charging as well.
- APPLICABLE MODELS: Our stand enables your new iPhoneXs / Xs Max / XR, iPhone8 Plus, iPhone8 to be wirelessly charged at standard speed and Samsung Galaxy 2019 new S10+, S10, Note9, S9 Plus, S9,...
- Say goodbye to tangled cords and Save your money spent on buying USB-C / lightning cables and Protect the charging port of your new iPhone by without having to constantly plug and unplug. With...
- Built in 2 premium copper coils to give wider charging transmit area so you could place your cell phone either horizontally or vertically, provides you the ability to use either with the phone...
If you are on the road more than you are behind a desk than it may also be worth looking into Qi wireless charging mounts for automotive applications.
How to Charge Your Phone Wirelessly While Driving
If you spend a considerable amount of time in your car, whether while on the job or simply commuting to and from work then it may be worth investing in a car-mounted wireless charger.
This is great as you can just pop your phone into or on top of the stand and not have to worry about fiddling with cables to plug in.
These stands are also good for long-term use as we all have experienced charging cables becoming frayed and damaged after a year or so of daily plugging and unplugging use.
Qi wireless car charging mounts are also awesome as they serve a double purpose. If you already use your iPhone’s GPS as your primary navigation tool then chances are you need a car mount anyways.
Well, if you are investing in a mount then it only makes sense to have it charge your phone at the same time.
Below are some of the most highly rated and best selling Qi wireless car mounts currently available:
- 【Wireless Fast Car Charger Mount VANMASS 2-IN-1 Design combines charger with phone holder in one unit. Pull down the bottom bracket to keep the phone and coils aligned so that wireless charging...
- 【Intelligent Qi-certificated Wireless Charging Adopting a Built-in new responsive smart chip which can intelligently identify wireless fast charging device and smartly adjust power among 5W,...
- 【Automatic Opening and Clamping Clips One hand operation, containing a built-in advanced sensor. Two clips of the mount will automatically close and grip your phone when the phone is attached...
- EASY ONE TOUCH LOCK/RELEASE: Patented Easy One Touch mechanism allows quick one-hand open and close operation
- QI WIRELESS FAST & STANDARD CHARGING: Qi Wireless Fast Charge Enabled Devices will enjoy Qi fast charge speeds. Please note all other devices will charge at standard rates
- ADJUSTABLE VIEWING: The newly re-designed Telescopic Arm extends from 4.9" - 8.3" and pivots on 225° arc for a variety of optimal positions
So, maybe none of the above options suit your specific needs because you are a super dedicated, some may say “addicted” Apple consumer.
You have an iPad, you have an iPhone, and you have an Apple Watch (in addition to your Macbook Pro and iMac at home).
Well in this case you’ll want to get a 3-in-1 charging solution.
Charging For Entire Apple Ecosystem: 3-in-1 Stands
3-in-1 stands are for the hardcore Apple power users. These are most useful for home use, either on a night stand or dresser top, as well as office desk use.
Being able to charge all of your devices on one stand that is consolidated into just one power cable saves a ton of time that is regularly spent plugging in up to 4 different separate products.
The combination stand allows for quick and pain free night-time charging without the need to invest in an army of Lightning cables, which will have to be replaced yearly once they begin to wear out.
- 【3 in 1 Wireless Charger Stand】 -charge your iPhone/ Watch /Airpods at the same time, Special Hidden line design provides you a tidy charging stand.
- 【Caution】-For mobile phones with screens over 5. 5 inches (e. g. Apple iPhone XS Max, Apple iPhone XR, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 ), it is recommended to charge them horizontally.
- 【Charge Forward】 -Using highly efficient components and an advanced chipset, double coil design greatly increases the device charging speed. Totally eliminate the radiation and overheating...
- 【COMPATIBILITY】BENTOBEN Desktop Charging stand is universal perfectly compatible with Airpods 2/1, Apple Watch SERIES 4/3/2/1 (38-44mm), iPhone Xs Max/Xr/Xs/X/8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus/6s/6...
- 【STRONG & STURDY】Made of solidly premium hard plastic PC and soft rubber, the premium hard PC framework makes the stand stable in any occasions. While the rubber on the bottom not only keeps...
- 【MULTIFUNCTION】Hands-free, perfect 60° visual angle which will bring you more convenience for cooking shows, movies, TV shows, songs, and IOS APPs, easy to read message and play game. Best...
These stands are great as they allow for charging of iPhones, Airpods and Apple Watches simultaneously, which makes it the perfect solution for Apple power users.
If the Swiss-army knife functionality and practicality of the 3-in-1 stand isn’t suitable for your tastes and you prefer a more minimalist aesthetic then an Qi-enabled light might be more to your liking
Minimalist Charging: Wireless Charging Desk Lamps
If the idea of adding another stand to your desk or work space makes you shiver in revulsion then a charging lamp might be more to your liking.
Having a light source with a base that includes built in Qi charging kills two birds with one stone, providing a quality light, which all work spaces should have, and place to set and charge your device while working.
The practicality and minimalist aesthetic of incorporating two technologies discreetly into one makes the charging lamp the perfect solution for those who hate clutter.
- Note: Please remove all metal cases and metal or magnetic objects from the back of your phone prior to wireless charging, as these may overheat and damage your device
- Qi-Enabled Wireless Fast Charge & Wide Compatibility: Qi-Enabled Fast Wireless Charging: Integrated with Hyper Air wireless charging pad, 7. 5W for iPhone X, 8 & 8 Plus, XR, XS & XS MAX, 10W for...
- 5 modes & 7 brightness levels: adjust the light of the wireless charging lamp to meet your eyes' needs and match your activity
Finally, if you are an extreme minimalist, or if you already have a lamp, but you STILL want wireless charging, then you may want to look into investing in an actual piece of furniture.
Charging Furniture: The Best Qi Equipped Nightstands
If all of the above options aren’t to your liking and you live a spartan zen-like life but still embrace new technology then getting a piece of furniture with built-in charging is probably your best bet at achieving tech gadget enlightenment.
For home use investing in a nightstand with a charger built into the actual core construction of the stand offers a very discreet, very slick solution for night-time charging.
- SIDE TABLE WITH BUILT IN LAMP & CHARGING CAPACITY COMBINATION: Never knock this contemporary lamp off your bedroom end table - you can't with the Madison, it's attached. It also has two USB...
- MID CENTURY MODERN WOOD NIGHT STAND & SHELF: The Madison standing lamp & table has great looks. Use the storage and display area for vases, art, books, dvds or other small objects. The drum shade...
- ALEXA COMPATIBLE, SWING ARM LIGHT & SMALL TABLE: Works with smart outlets that are Alexa, Google Home Assistant, or Apple HomeKit enabled, to turn on/off. (Requires smart outlet sold separately.)...
The benefits of charging nightstands is the power cable is usually located at the bottom of the stand and can be snaked around to an outlet, reducing visual clutter, as opposed to top-mounted stands which add ugly cables.
Why stop at the bedroom though? There are also Qi-enabled coffee stands and tables that you can mix into your living room, co-working space or startup office to allow for maximum flexibility in creativity and charging options.
- SIMPLE ELEGANT & FUNCTIONAL - Introducing the modern accent table. Standing 25 inches tall, this contemporary accent piece compliments any modern setting perfectly. Featuring sumptuous black...
- 360° BLUETOOTH SPEAKER - Four state of the art speakers, tweeters and a sub are wrapped behind grey heather fabric producing crystal clear audio. This table produces a 360° full stereo effect...
- Qi WIRELESS CHARGING - The future is wireless. A built in wireless charger allows you to simply set your smart device on top of the Qi symbol on the center of the table and it will begin charging...
Having furniture strategically placed around the office or your studio is not only SUPER convenient and future-proof but also will be sure to impress your guests as people are always needing a bit of “juice” on the go.
Wireless charging is just blowing up now as major phone manufacturers are all shifting towards wireless charging.
The forms in which Qi is being integrated continue to evolve and we wouldn’t be surprised to live in a future where everything has a dual purpose, one of them being to charge your smartphone/watch/headphones.
As the wireless charging world continues to evolve we will continue to update this guide to reflect all of the latest and greatest applications of Qi wireless charging!
Last update on 2019-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API